Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Lingering Flavor of Lemongrass

Lemongrass, more well-known as a seasoning used in Thai and Vietnamese cooking, is also frequently included as an ingredient in herbal tea or flavored tea blends. It can also be used on its own to make an herbal tea, and I've found it quite pleasant for this use.

I've noticed that lemongrass has a particularly persistent flavor, however. When I brew an herbal infusion of straight lemongrass it in a teapot or using a tea infuser, even when I thoroughly clean the pot or infuser, the characteristic hints of lemongrass linger in whatever tea I brew subsequently.

I just did this with Teatulia's Lemongrass (which I was quite impressed by--link is to my review). Now I'm drinking Amber Oolong Select from Upton Tea Imports, and there is still a noticeable lemongrass flavor present.

I wonder why this is the case? Has anyone else noticed this? Any other ingredients you've found that leave a lingering quality when you steep them in a teapot or tea infuser?

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to try it sometime. The flavor doesn't seem to stay with a glass teapot, which is the only thing I have brewed lemongrass in (my favorite herbal infusion).
    I didn't think it had that potent of a flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A glass teapot or mug is the perfect solution! =)

    I wish I had one for cases like this. Have you tried any of the other lemony herbs? My favorite is lemon balm, probably just because I grew up drinking it iced in the summer.

    This past year I made a point of trying lemon verbena, lemon grass, and lemon myrtle. I have yet to make an herbal tea from lemon thyme (can't find it commercially available) but I've seen lemon thyme in nurseries and it smells good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have not tried any other lemony herbs. I wish I had the means to grow them fresh. A dorm room will not be the best spot for that! But eventually I want to have a pretty stocked herb garden!

    ReplyDelete